Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Marshmallow Fondant

My sweet little 4 year old (now 5 year old!) just had her birthday. I usually just buy a cake, but this year I decided to make one. The reason? It boils down to pride. I guess I have a bit of a pride issue. You see, for this past Christmas I made my parents a calendar with pictures of my sweet little kiddos. They were admiring the picture for this month which happens to be of my little 5 year old last year on her birthday. My papa told my mom what a beautiful cake I had made and that I must have really spent a lot of time on it. My mom informed him that I do not make cakes for my kids birthdays, but that I purchase them. Well, that did it. I decided that I had to make her cake this year just to prove that I can make a pretty nice looking cake too.

While I was scouring the internet, looking for a cake to make, I came across several that had fondant. I have never made or tasted fondant before, but decided to give it a try. After all, it did make some pretty cakes.

I made up a batch of fondant for her cake, but still had no clue what I was going to do with it (other than sample it - YUM!). I finally decided that I was on my own and had to use a little creativity - not my strongest suit. After 2 days of thinking, I came up with an idea and this is what I did. I am pretty darn proud of myself! I managed to make a cake that looked pretty good, tasted really good, and didn't even have to start over! Hoary for me!

I adapted this recipe from All Recipes.

Linked on Show Me What Ya Got #12, All Things Related #37 and Sweets for a Saturday 6.



1/4 cup shortening (I used butter flavored)
1 (16 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup water
2 pounds powdered sugar, divided

Place the shortening in a shallow bowl, and set aside. Place the marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl, and microwave on High for 30 seconds to 1 minute to start melting the marshmallows. Carefully stir the water into the hot marshmallows, and stir until the mixture is smooth. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar, a cup at a time, until you have a sticky dough. Reserve 1 cup of powdered sugar for kneading. The dough will be very stiff. Rub your hands thoroughly with shortening, and begin kneading the sticky dough. As you knead, the dough will become workable and pliable. Turn the dough out onto a working surface dusted with powdered sugar and continue kneading until the fondant is smooth and no longer sticky to the touch, 5 to 10 minutes. Form the fondant into a ball, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. To use, allow the fondant to come to room temperature, and roll it out onto a flat surface dusted with powdered sugar. Roll out 1 inch larger than you need to give a little wiggle room. Lightly frost your cake (or what ever you are using your fondant on) to insure the fondant sticks. Attach decorations with a little frosting as well. I used Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.

15 comments:

  1. You did a beautiful job! I saw this recipe on allrecipes.com and have been wanting to try it. I'm glad it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Just make sure you add the water in. I forgot on the second batch I made and about killed my mixer. Oops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful cake!!!! thanks for the fondant recipe, my first attempt with fondant will be in a few weeks for my son's 2nd birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the cake! Happy birthday to your little sweetie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great!!! I used the store bought fondant before and it just doesn't taste the same...thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really cute. I recently did my first marshmellow fondant cake for my daughter. It's on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What did you use to color the fondant?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chantal, I just used regular food coloring that comes with the 4 colors of drops in a box, but I am sure any type of food coloring would work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful job! You will be making birthday cakes for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful....I am not that brave of a baker. Can't wait to see what else you create now that you mastered that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did an amazing job for being your first time! I too have used that recipe and it tastes great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, looks great, I can't believe it was your first time using fondant. I have never tasted it either? What did it taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It tastes like a mix of buttercream frosting and marshmallow cream - at least that's what I think. :) Very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great looking cake! Marshmallow fondant is on my want to make list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that looks amazing for a first timer! I have never worked with fondant but it is on my 30 by 30 list. I have never tried it either! I am terrified to try to do this... it seems so difficult! You done good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...