Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Perfect Chicken Gravy

I don't make gravy very often because I usually don't have any leftover drippings from the meat I prepare.  When I happen to have some leftover drippings, we LOVE this Perfect Chicken Gravy!  It's full of flavor and SO good!  Even my gravy haters like it.

Gravy hater "Mom, do I haaaave to have gravy?"

Me "No, you get to have gravy"

Gravy hater "Can you just put a little on a little potatoes and give me lots of potatoes without it?  Pleeeease?"

Gravy hater (after trying her potatoes with the Perfect Chicken Gravy) "Um, Mom?  Can you please put gravy on the rest of my potatoes?"


2 cups chicken drippings (I get the drippings when I roast a whole chicken)
1/2 cup celery, diced small
1/3 cup onion, diced small
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste (I like a lot of salt)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch

In a small sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the celery and onion and cook until tender - about 7 to 10 minutes.  Add chicken drippings, salt and pepper to veggies and heat until it starts to simmer.  Combine cornstarch with enough water to make it liquid - about 1/4 cup.  Slowly pour cornstarch mix into hot drippings while stirring the drippings.  Cook, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens - about 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...