Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Buttermilk Bread

If I had to claim one thing as my favorite food, homemade bread would be a strong contender.  There isn't anything quite like a fresh slice of bread right out of the oven.  Plain, smothered in butter and honey or jam.  Yum!  This Buttermilk Bread is fantastic!  I love the look of the baked loaf.  It's so pretty, but so easy to make.


2 tablespoons active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
3 cups warm buttermilk
3/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup wheat germ
9 cups all-purpose flour

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the buttermilk, butter, honey, salt, baking soda, wheat germ and 4 cups flour; mix well. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto a heavily floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface and divide into thirds. Divide each portion into thirds and shape each into a 12 inch rope. Braid three ropes together and pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Place in a greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Makes 3 loaves.

Recipe from All Recipes.

Linked on Weekend Wrap Up Party.

4 comments:

  1. fresh homemade bread is soooo awesome i'll have to try this recipe. I started making bread at home about 6 months ago and i cant even stand the store bought stuff now, just doesn't taste right

    ReplyDelete
  2. A baker after my own heart--I love cooking with buttermilk and I'm making this bread tomorrow. I just hope I can wait until then!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I love homemade bread. Nothing beats the smell in the house when it's baking :) I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. Have a wonderful week :)
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! Nothing like homemade bread. This one looks and sounds delish- definitely going to give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...