Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hot Fudge Sauce

We spent the day at the splash pad and decided we needed to have some hot fudge brownie sundaes for a treat.  I asked the kids if they wanted to go out to the ice cream parlor for one, or go home and make lots of them.  Making our own won out when I told the kids they could have second if we made our own.  We headed home and made brownies and Hot Fudge Sauce.  I pulled the ice cream out of the freezer to find it all freezer burnt and nasty.  I hate it when that happens.  I told my little angels that before we could eat our sundaes, we had to go buy more ice cream.

By the time we got home from the store (with a lot more than just ice cream - I seem to get sucked in every time!), it was dinner time.  My kids were heart broken that we couldn't have our sundaes until after dinner.  That left only one thing to do.....  Sundaes for dinner!

As I was debating if letting my kids have sundaes for dinner put me in the running for the best or worst mom of the year award, my sweet friend Lacey helped me to realize that we had all 5 food groups covered, so our hot fudge (black bean) brownie sundaes were a practically perfect food. :)  If only there wasn't so much sugar in them.  My kids were bouncing off the walls 2 hours after I put them to bed.  I'll consider that a lesson learned - hot fudge brownie sundaes should not be eaten for dinner.  I'll try them for breakfast next time. :)


1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a small bowl combine dry ingredients and whisk until well combined and smooth. Combine milk, vanilla, and sugar in a medium sized sauce pan and cook over medium heat until the butter is melted. Slowly whisk in the dry ingredients and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks (ours never last that long :))

Recipe adapted from my neighbor Peggy.

Linked on Sweets for a Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...