Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mini Caramel Apple Pies

Nothing screams fall quite like apple pie.  My 11 year old has been begging me to make her an apple pie for a week now, and I finally gave in.  I won't let her know that I spied a case of fresh apples at the farmers market last weekend and my hubby refused to let me buy it until I had all the apples at home used up first.  The nerve! :)  And since I buy pounds, and pounds and even more pounds of apples, I had quite a few to use up before the next farmers market.  Luckily there are 7 of us eating them, and we all love apples, but I still had a little work to do.  I've made Fruit and Maple Oatmeal several times, we've snacked on apples and apple slices with peanut butter, and I finally made these Mini Caramel Apple Pies. 

The look on my sweet daughters face was priceless when she realized what I was making.  To say she was pleased would be an understatement.  The rest of the kids were pretty excited as well.  I loved listening to them decide what to do with the "extra" pies since there wouldn't be enough for everyone to have 2.  I tried telling them that there wouldn't be any extras, because they were all Mom's.  I guess I need to work on my poker face, because they didn't believe me for even a split second.  Either my poker face is really bad, or they are really smart.  I think I like the second option the best.




1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie (I used my Perfect Pie Crust)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
 4 apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste and cook for 1 minute. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Add apples and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Divide dough into 10 pieces and roll each piece into a circle (mine were about 6 inches).  Place about 1/4 cup of the apple filling in the center of each dough circle.  Fold the dough in half over the filling and press the edges to seal.  Place on an un-greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.  Reduce the heat to 350 and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Recipe from All Recipes

 Linked on Sweets for a Saturday and Tatertots and Jello.

1 comment:

  1. What an wonderful way to combine caramel apples in a pie--so Fall-like and it makes me smile:-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...