Thursday, October 11, 2012

Apple Crisp

Apparently my kids are deprived.  My sweet little 11 year old called her Granny, just to chat, and Granny told her she was making Papa an Apple Crisp.  My little princess got off the phone and let me know I've never made her an apple crisp and asked begged me to make her one.  I told her that Apple Crisp was basically just an apple crumb pie, but without the crust.  She said she knew.  Apparently Granny told her.  Funny, anything Granny tells her is true (really, it is), but she doesn't believe half of what I tell her.  So I tell her to call Granny.  Then she believes me.  Funny thing.

I must really love that sweet little 11 year old of mine.  I had a lovely bag of my favorite apples (pink lady - YUM!!) and used all of them for her very first Apple Crisp.  She was in heaven!  I think she ate half the pan all by herself.  You'd never know she likes to eat by looking at her, though.  If only I had that problem....


8 cups sliced apples
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Topping:
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup instant oats
5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
dash salt

Preheat oven to 375.  In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except topping ingredients.  Mix well and pour into a 3 quart baking dish (I used a 9x13 inch pan).  Combine all topping ingredients and use a pasty blender to cut butter into the other ingredients.  When the butter is cut in and looks like small crumbs, sprinkle over apples.  Bake for 45 minutes.  Serve warm or cold.

Recipe adapted from Jamie Cooks It Up!

Linked on Sweet as Sugar Cookies.

2 comments:

  1. You must be reading my mind--apple crisp sounds wonderful on a fall evening:-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so good and perfect for the fall season! I think i'm inspired to make some apple crisp now ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...