Monday, October 15, 2012

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Although I'm enjoying the cooler weather, it's almost depressing.  Depressing because I know it means winter is just around the corner.  I'm no fan of winter.  I don't like the cold, and the snow is even worse.  On the bright side, I can use my oven to bake up a storm of fallish goodies and comfort foods.  And hot chocolate season is here.  I guess that makes up for the approaching winter. 

I loved this Baked Macaroni and Cheese!  I loved the flavor the garlic gave it and the simple ingredients it has.  The family ate it really well and loved the topping.  My little 6 year old was less than happy that it wasn't macaroni and cheese out of the blue box, but devoured every last bite.  I think that's a good sign.


1 (12 ounce) box macaroni (or other pasta of choice), cooked according to package directions and drained
3 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
12 round buttery crackers (like Ritz), crushed

Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat.  Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Reduce heat to medium-low and add flour.  Stir to make a paste and cook for 1 minute.  Slowly pour in milk, whisking constantly.  Increase heat back to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.  Slowly add 3 cups of the cheese and whisk until melted and smooth.  Stir in the cooked macaroni and mix until well combined.  Add 1 cup of cheese and stir until just combined.  Pour into a greased 9x9 inch pan.  Top with remaining 1 cup cheese and sprinkle with cracker crumbs.  Bake for 30 minutes at 350.

Recipe from The Royal Cook - an original!

1 comment:

  1. My granddaughter LIVES on macaroni and cheese! This weekend, my daughter sent a photo of her eating it on bread; talk about a carb oveload!! This looks wonderful, XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...