Monday, October 8, 2012

Emma Smith's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I can't believe how good these cookies were!  They were full of flavor and nice and soft.  And I loved the addition of nuts in them.  I almost left the nuts out, and am glad I didn't.  They really added to the cookies.  The family isn't too big on raisins, but they all loved the cookies.  Even my picky 11 year old ate them after I told her she could only have a cookie if she was going to eat it how it was and not pick out the raisins.  I'm a mean mom like that.


1/2 cup shortening 
3/4 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
4 cups rolled oats
2 cups raisins
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
2 cups nuts (I used pecans)

Mix shortening and sugar together then add eggs and beat well. Add milk and mix well. Mix flour, soda salt, and spices together in a separate bowl, then add them all at once. Mix well. Add raisins, oatmeal and nuts and mix.  Refrigerate overnight.  Roll into small balls (I flatten mine slightly.  I think it makes them cook more evenly) and place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet.  Bake at 375 for 7 to 8 minutes, or until golden around the edges.

1 comment:

  1. Oatmeal cookies bring back such wonderful memories...thank you, XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...