Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Koolaid Play Dough

I've been a mom for almost 14 years.  There are a few things I've learned over the years.  Things like

Characters on shoes and shirts are really okay.  I refused to buy my kids anything with a famous character on it.  I didn't like the way it looked.  I thought it was kind of trashy looking (please, don't judge me :)).  Until this year.  I was shoe shopping for my kids when my sweet little 2 year old found Cars shoes.  He LOVES Cars.  He carries his little Mater truck around with him everywhere he goes and always picks Cars when he gets to watch a movie.  Needless to say, it was love at first sight for the little guy.  He sat down and tried to put the Cars shoes on all by himself.  I guess I'm getting soft in my old age, because I bought him the shoes.  And Dora shoes for my 4 year old.  If only I would have know how much joy the characters on their little shoes could bring them, I'm sure I would have bought the other 3 character shoes as well.  My little 2 year old get excited every single day when I put his shoes on him.

The house doesn't have to be spotless.  It took me 3 kids and a sign at the neighbors house to realize this one.  What did the sign say?  "The house might be a mess, but the kids and I had fun today."  I still like the house to be clean, but a clean house isn't what my kids are going to remember when they get older.  The things that they'll remember are the things that we did together, or at least that we did things together.

If it's important to them, it's important to me.  After all, they are important to me.  Whether they want to show me something cool they found outside (that more than likely isn't allowed inside), tell me something, or do something with me, they are more important that anything else I'm doing.  They don't always want my attention when it's convenient, but they are what's important.  I feel like this one has helped me to have an amazing relationship with all 5 of my kids.  My teenager still wants to hang out with Mom, gives me hugs, kisses, and even tells me he loves me.  In front of his friends.  And he comes to me with any questions or problems he has.  And he has a LOT of questions.  It's amazing (and not always in a good way) the things he is told at school.  He asks me what a word means, if something is true, etc.  I think it's a good thing I'm not shy!

Dessert for dinner is okay.  Once in a while.  It's a memory maker.

Chores are a good thing for kids.  It teaches them how to work.  They might not do the job as well as I would like, but as long as they give it their best effort, that's good enough.

It's okay to let the kids help.  From cooking, to cleaning, to getting the mail, kids love to help.  It might take me twice as long (or longer!) to do something, it might make twice the mess (or more!), but they are the best little helpers I could ask for.  And they are definitely worth taking a little extra time doing something so I can spend time with them.  Besides, if I don't let them help me now, they aren't going to want to help me when they get older.  

Cherish every little gift.  If my kids draw me a picture, give a a prize they got at school, the last bite of a treat they saved, or a treasure they found while playing out side, I love every gift they give me.  They give me things because they love me.  They make things for me because they love me.  It might not look like anything significant, but they love me and thought of me, not someone else, but me.  My 6 year old loves to draw me picture and write a little note on the picture.  It usually says something like "I love you Mom.  We are love."  I love that they want to make me things and give me their little treasures.  I.  Love.  Them!

I know Koolaid Play Dough isn't edible, but it sure is fun for the kiddos and the best recipe I've tried.  It's smooth.  It's non-toxic.  It smells yummy.  And it keeps the kids busy for a long time.  Like an entire 45 minutes at a time.  And without any fighting.  Now that's priceless!

Putting the Play Dough in....
Pushing the Play Dough out....
Lots of giggles....
And showing what she did with her Play Dough.
They all had fun!  Even my 11 year old played with them for a while.  Until she had to do her chores.

1 cup flour 
1/2 cup salt 
2 tablespoons vegetable oil 
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 package unsweetened Koolaid 
1 cup water

In a small pan combine dry ingredients.  Add oil and water and mix well.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture forms a ball.  Pour dough onto the and knead until smooth (wait until it cools a little first!). Store in airtight container.

Recipe from my daughters preschool.

Linked on Sweet Bella Roos and Tatertots and Jello.

1 comment:

  1. I love homemade play dough and I know my grands could just play with it for hours. I've never heard of adding Koolaid, so I'm gonna have to try this when I visit the grands later this month:-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...