Tuesday, February 26, 2013

White Almond Wedding (or Birthday) Cake

Last week was a busy week around here!  My sweet little princess celebrated her 7th birthday so it was a party all week long, It started with going out to breakfast and shopping with just the 2 of us on Monday, and ended with a Spa-tacular party with her friends on Saturday.  I think I liked celebrating her birthday all week (her birthday was Thursday).  She sure felt special!

My little princess wanted a candy cake for her birthday.  I wanted something a little fancier.  So I compromised.  I put candy on the top for her and made the sides a little fancier for me.  It didn't really match, but we were both happy.

She also requested to have a filling in it.  "Just not that nasty jam stuff the store puts in theirs.  That's so gross mom!"  So she got Vanilla Mousse and loved it.  Then I topped it off with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.

The cake turned out fantastic!  It started with a box mix and ended up much more dense than a plain box mix (and much tastier!), which is what I wanted.  The hubs and I loved the flavor of the cake.  Not sure what the kiddos thought of the flavor, but they quickly gobbled it up.  Pretty sure that means they liked it too.




In case you can't tell, the colors of the cake are supposed to be blue, purple and pink.  There was a little debate on a couple of the colors. :) 

1 (15.25 ounce) package white cake mix 
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg whites

Preheat oven to 325.  Stir together the white cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl until well mixed. Pour in the water, sour cream, vegetable oil, almond and vanilla extracts, and egg whites, and beat with an electric mix on low until all the ingredients are mixed and moistened but some lumps still remain; about 4 minutes. Pour the batter into greased 9x13 inch cake pan, and bake in the preheated oven until the top is a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 25 minutes.  Do not over bake.

I divided my cake between 3 (8 inch) pans and baked for about 17 minutes.

Recipe from All Recipes.

Linked on Tatertots and Jello, Your Homebased Mom, Pinworthy Projects, Sweet & Savory Saturdays, Show Me What Ya Got, The Busy Bee's and Six Sisters' Stuff

15 comments:

  1. Hello, I'd love to have you come share your post at Show and Tell Saturday #6 at Sassy Little Lady!

    http://www.sassylittlelady.com/blog/show-and-tell-saturday/show-and-tell-saturday-6

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful cake!! Sounds like your little princess enjoyed a really wonderful birthday! :*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cake - I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure this is the most beautiful cake I've ever seen! WOW! I found you at Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party! (Your post is both of those things! ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors you chose for the layers!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is *BEAUTIFUL*! I'd like to invite you to participate in my Pin Me Linky Party. It goes Fri-Tue. I allow up to 3 links each week! I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! And I am a sucker for almond! Just lovely! Would love it if you shared this & any other recipes at my Sweet & Savory Saturdays Link Party: http://dessertnowdinnerlater.blogspot.com/2013/03/sweet-savory-saturdays-2.html. Hope to see you there!

    ~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for bringing this to my party! I really love it! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh this cake looks so so so pretty! I want to go ahead and make one :) Would love for you to come link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ wwww.ladybug-blessings.com

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty cake and I'm sure it was delicious tooThanks so much for sharing over at Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party - hope you'll visit again next Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colors are so pretty just as they turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful. We have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/03/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop.html
    We are also having a giveaway this week for a $50.00 Target Gift Card, so head over to enter.
    We hope to see you there.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a very beautiful cake.
    I love colors in food, especially desserts :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...